Re: Running Martingales

Hi All,

I feel  there's   BIG DIFFERENCE betweeb running martingales and
tie-downs.  I would  NEVER use a tie-down on any horse--they are
dangerous and take away his head.  If he rears, he will be unable (many
times) to keep his balance and go over backwards It also holdds it in an
unnatural position and he doesn't get "rewarded" for doing things
right.. Running martingales, on the other hand, are a helpful "aid" in
riding inexperineced or young colts.  If handled correctly, the horse
need never feel it take command.  I have ridden many a horse with one,
but  just like bits, you need "light hands" and it should only "come
into effect" when he raises his head or tries to run out of controlIt is
imperative it be wwell adjusted, and I think "ring guards" are needed so
it will not accidently get caught on the bit, but remain free-moving.

Yes, I agree, it is better NOT  to have to use either, but sometimes
some horses need longer than others to get the picture, and I'd rather
use a well adjusted running martingale than a more severe bit.

Maureen