Re: Martingales/conformation

>I use a running martingale to train a horse that when I 'bump' his mouth in
>a see-saw pattern (left-right-left-right) he should drop his head. This give
>me the angle that, with slight, steady pressure on the reins, gets him to
>tuck his chin a little, come back to the bit, and round up.

This is one of the most common misconceptions about dressage training...too
much starting with the hands.

The creation of that nice top line and head position starts at the rear of
the horse.  When you apply your calf on and off the sides of the horse, it
hits a nerve that causes that back leg to come up under the belly further.
To bring that back leg up, the horse uses his abdominal muscles.  This, in
turn, raises the back and base of the neck and causes the head to come
down.  The formula is active leg on the horse's side, supportive opposite
rein, and active inside rein (no see-sawing.)  If you pull steady with both
hands, you're likely to have the horse throw his head up as a response.
Also, the horse's mouth should not be forced shut with a flash or Figure 8
nose band.  A horse that gives to the bit has to have his jaw relaxed...and
they can't relax their jaw if their mouth is tied shut or there is a steady
pull from both of the rider's hands.  If he opens his mouth when you ask
him to halt or do a down transition, that's considered an evasion...rider
error. ;-)  Too much hands and not enough body doing the cues.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.