Re: RC: Re: Curiousity Shoeing Question

Sorry to post to the list, but AOL won't accept email from my server for
some reason.  Right now we have a 14 km training loop measured out from
Sakkara Country Club and a number of us have been showing people the route
so that they can work their horses and have some idea of how far and/or fast
they are going.  It's really hard to judge distance in the Sahara....no
bushes, no cactus, no nothing.   We're going into summer now and that is
really the "down" time, as when the temps start hitting 40C, we leave the
horses to hang out in the barn.  I ride fairly early as often as possible.
About 3 days a week for me and 3 or 4 for a trainer at the club.  We have a
small turnout area and most horses get left in boxes way too much time for
my taste, or Dory's for that matter, so I try to get her out daily for an 8
to 10 mile ride.  Lots of time most of the ride is walk, especially in the
summer.  We'll have another information meeting around the first week in
September and see how many people are serious about the ride.  I think that
we'll get about 20 or so at least.  I'd be delighted since this is a first
for Egypt.  I've heard rumours that the Equestrian Federation is looking
into endurance as well, not that I know anyone in the Federation here who
has the vaguest idea what it is.  That could be interesting, since for most
of the jumpers who make up the Federation, "conditioning" is a dirty word.
If they start organising endurance rides with proper vet checks, I'll be in
great shape.  As ride manager for the November ride I can't compete, but I'd
go for the Federation rides, let them do the work, and enjoy myself as I
don't know too many horses around her with the miles on them that my mare
has.  Thanks for asking.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg