Re: RC: Rescues... what is Sam's story?

Dear Linda;
What a wonderful story.  Thanks for sharing.
We own many rescues, also.  In addition to the three horses(two
rescued), we have four cats(two rescued, one a Target give-away, one
actually on purpose purchased), and four dogs(two rescued, one
purchased, one giveaway).  My oldest dog, now 14, was rescued as a young
puppy when his "owners" abandoned him with his littermates and left them
in a field to die.  A kind family took them in, got them healthy, and
spent the time to find them good homes.  He has been a wonderful dog,
and with the help of a book by the Monks of New Skete, I became a good
owner.  One day soon he will have to leave us, though.  He is deaf, his
hips are bad, and he is slowly going blind.  He still likes to play and
leap around a bit, but spends most of his days laying in the sun,
enjoying the remainder of his life.
I would be really sad, but there comes a time for each life to pass on.
I am not too sad, because I know that when Travis leaves there will be a
replacement dog...probably within a week, there always has been.  It
will be a rescue dog.  My husband spends his workdays in the valley
driving, and he says each day he could bring home at least five good
dogs, left abandoned or running on the city streets, ignored by most and
usually run over or left to die.  He said the saddest one of all was a
beautiful Foxterrier type dog abandoned way out in the middle of
nowhere, in the hot summer, that was too scared to come to him when he
stopped and called.  He knows that he can't bring them all home, tho it
breaks his heart to leave them.
I know that when Travis leaves we will be able to let another dog live.
Katee
PS  I always neuter my dogs and cats and encourage everyone else to do
so.

--
Lead, follow, or get the *#^@ out of the way!