Sugar and Iodine (was First Aid Kit)

> April - What's the sugar supposed to do with the iodine?

Good question, Lif.  Umm, I have no idea about the chemical reaction, etc.
It's supposed to heal cuts quickly.  My farrier advised me to put it on the
cut on Apache's leg. I've tried SO many other things, including a lot of
suggestions given to me by RideCamp.  This is just one more thing to try.

Yesterday, I shaved the area around the cut, cleaned the cut, packed it in a
sugar/iodine mixture, and wrapped the whole hoof and leg up to just above
his fetlock in vetrap and duct tape.  I'm going to cut it off Monday evening
and see if it's made a difference.  I HOPE SO.  I'm so sick of this cut!!!

Jason (my farrier) put the same mixture in a crack in his hoof between the
hoof and the shoe before he reshod him Thursday.  He said it would keep
bacteria out of the crack.  I'm not a chemist, so I don't know why it would
work.  He mentioned putting it on his leg as he was shoeing the other day.
He's seen me struggle with this situation for the entire time I've done it.
Every six weeks he gets to see if there's been any progress at all.  I
figured I could try something else.

If somebody knows why it would work, or if it's just an "old wives tale,"
I'd love to hear about it.  Another horse owner that was out to have the
farrier look at his mare agreed that the mixture helps horses and other
mammals, including humans.  Supposed to be better than Neosporin.  I figure
if it works, I'll keep the combo around in my bag of "tricks" for healing
cuts/wounds quickly.

---April
   Chattanooga, TN