Fwd: Feeding bermuda

In a message dated 1/7/99 4:55:32 AM EST, rides2far@juno.com writes:

<<   I've only had one horse
 colic on cured Bermuda.  He was new here and just LOVED it >>

To clearify, I was only passing along what I was told by someone who should
know. I grow my own fescue and oat hay and have no need to buy elsewhere.  My
only experience with Coastal Bermuda was in a broodmare owned by a friend.
She leased the mare for breeding purposes and specified that the mare get no
coastal hay(because of NCSU Vet School recommendation).  The stallion owner
fed her coastal while she was there being bred.  She coliced, needed surgury
for impaction, recovered nicely.  End of tale.  No other experience with it
what so ever.
Leigh

---- Begin included message ----

>> The Vets at North Carolina State University vet school believe that
>bermuda
>> hay (not growing, cut, dried hay) keeps them in business.  They've
>told me
>> never to feed it, it causes impaction colic often.

I've heard this a lot.  What I've found in the last 4 years of feeding
Bermuda almost exclusively is that I'd better not feed it for at least 2
weeks after it's cut.  I've had a few gassy colics when I did.

I've heard people say, "I bought that stuff and threw it to 5 mares and
they all coliced. I'd never feed it again".  I've only had one horse
colic on cured Bermuda.  He was new here and just LOVED it.  He ate it
like he was in a pie eating contest.  It was just a gassy colic and
passed with a little hand walking.

Angie

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

---- End included message ----