Re: Omega 3 fatty acids

Angela C. McGhee wrote:

> >And you don't have to grind it up, you can just throw a handful in :).
> >will throw it in with the soaking beet pulp.
>
> O.K.  I give up.  What are Omega 3 fatty acids for?

For confusing people with <g>.  There's interest in the omega 3 fatty
acids in human nutrition because of some correlations to prevention of
heart disease (y'know, all that stuff about eating fish oils), which
isn't an issue in equine nutrition.  In horses, omega 3's and omega 6's
just aren't a big deal for us normal folks.  And even if it was, well,
regular ol' veggie oils from the grocery store are high in linolenic
acid, which is an omega 3 FA.  Some people feel the omega 3's put a
shinier hair coat onto horses, but when they did clinical trials on it,
the horses that ended up having the nicest, shiniest coats were just the
ones that got brushed every day, without any oil supplements at all.

Susan G