Re: Pain Releif in Hard Rides

In a message dated 1/6/99 10:15:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
santafe@eudoramail.com writes:

<< One other note, personally I do not think it is a bad idea for the pain
killers if the horse is going back home to frolic in its normal pasture and
such, but if the horse is supposed to be on another ride that is a different
story.  I would want to wait until there is no sign of problems well off the
pain killers before another ride would be atempted. >>

Agreed about the going home to frolic in the pasture vs. going on another
ride.  The problem is that with many minor chronic problems and often with
metabolic problems, they "look" just fine on Monday.  If your horse needs the
bute, you need to lay off at least a month to 6 weeks, IMO.  (I like intervals
at least that long in first season horses, too, for the same reason...)

Heidi