Re: Pain Releif in Hard Rides

I have been reading some of the posts about bute here and I guess I am undecided.
I have only used bute for injuries and then very sparingly...if my horse is in
alot of misery from an injury, I'll give him one dose.  If he is coping well, as
in moving around and eating, I let him be.  I never give a horse bute
automatically twice a day or whatever just to keep it in his system and keep him
comfortable.  I would worry about it masking symptoms of something more serious.
I have never used bute after a ride but have used massage and liniment for comfort
measures.  I am not sure what some people mean when they "use" bute...are they
using it twice a day for several days after a ride or just one dose on the way
home to make the horse comfortable???  I don't think it would be wise to use it
too much but I am wondering if it might be beneficial or just simply humane to
give them that dose on the way home to make them more comfortable???  Would that
have long reaching effects that would "mask" problems?  Or is it just best to use
some good old massage and liniment?  Educate me here!!  That's what ridecamp is
about, right?  :)
Maggie