aerc membership

There has been a lot written about the aerc membership fees lately.  can
someone tell me why i should continue to belong.  I have the following
concerns.  1) trails, availability and maintenance (they do nothing) 2)
Equine Research, (they do nothing) 3. Awards; then have numerous
(sometimes silly) awards, however i am middle of the pack and don't
intend to compete. 4) 'To Finish is to Win", if this is true, why so
many awards.  5) Magazine; pitiful little to contribute compared to
Equine Magazine and Equine is cheaper.  6) Lack of any political
support; Reference the 'Saving of No Hands Bridge' and  'The Outlaw
Trail'.  7) Limited Distance; 0-49 miles limited distance? many of the
rides we do are unmeasured and probably fall short of 50 miles. Are they
to become limited distance rides?  8) International Competition; as a
middle of the pack rider, why should I care about rides outside of the
US of A?  Many more questions to consider before i rejoin this year.
Chuck Gabri