Re: aerc membership

>There has been a lot written about the aerc membership fees lately.
>can
>someone tell me why i should continue to belong.

Dear Chuck,

If I had your attitude, why would I give a darn if trails are closed in
the west?  Chances are that I'm not going to ride there.

And about getting rid of those awards....be careful what you wish
for...how are you going to feel if you take out your "next" horse and he
sails past everybody?  Today's middle of the packer may be tomorrow's big
dog.

Thank goodness for AERC.  They've saved our sport from being vilified by
those who would like to call us "horse killers".  They've given us
direction, we're organized.  If we want to get involved in those pet
projects you've mentioned, you don't have to look up 5,000 people who
like to ride long distances, you simply have to present them to our
board.

When I go to a ride, I KNOW what to expect and there will be no
unpleasant surprises....like no vets...

They keep up with my miles.  As a middle of the packer, that meant most
to me.  It gave me a goal, which is THE big difference between pleasure
riding and competing.

I have a chance to look at the results in Endurance News and see how I
stack up against other riders...not necessarily the "winners", maybe I've
picked some other middle of the packers to try to out-do.  They print the
name of EVERY finisher...I love that.

By keeping lifetime mileages, I am able to set LONG TERM goals...that's
the REAL endurance to me.

There are plenty of other reasons.  I believe that the larger the
organization, the more difficult it is for them to work on specific
problems.  If you have a trail that's in trouble...better that YOU do
your best to fix it, not a large organization.  They are better at
dealing with other large organizations.  When I deal with our ranger, I
am the AERC representative.  That holds a lot more clout that if I come
representing me.

If you want to work for peace and end world hunger...try doing ONE thing
yourself.  Have you addressed any of these issues on an individual basis?
 If so.  Congratulations.  You are AERC.

Angie McGhee 7092
Kaboot Herlong 14911