Re: navicular

In a message dated 1/5/99 8:34:13 PM Pacific Standard Time, Tivers@aol.com
writes:

<< A recent paper stated that 82% of navicular bone damage could be linked
with
 underslung heels. What do you do? Oversling them.

Perhaps leave more extension on the shoe heel?  Our farrier (our #1 daughter)
has corrected underslung heels by careful long-range shoeing changes --
leaving more heel on the shoe to help support the heel of the foot, reducing
flare on the front of the hoof, and leaving adequate room for heel expansion.
She has managed over the years to change her dad's horse's feet from
underslung heels and long toes to well balanced hooves.  Takes a lot of time
and know-how.

Barbara McCrary