Re: navicular

>In a message dated 1/5/99 8:34:13 PM Pacific Standard Time, Tivers@aol.com
>writes:
>
><< A recent paper stated that 82% of navicular bone damage could be linked
>with
> underslung heels. What do you do? Oversling them.
>  >>

>Perhaps leave more extension on the shoe heel?  Our farrier (our #1 daughter)
>has corrected underslung heels by careful long-range shoeing changes --
>leaving more heel on the shoe to help support the heel of the foot, reducing
>flare on the front of the hoof, and leaving adequate room for heel expansion.
>She has managed over the years to change her dad's horse's feet from
>underslung heels and long toes to well balanced hooves.  Takes a lot of time
>and know-how.
>
>Barbara McCrary

Another thing to be alert for is contracted heels, which effectively
reduces the weight bearing size of the foot.  Since the contraction had
occurred over a period of many months and shoeings my farrier and I didn't
really notice what was happening until my gelding developed navicular
syndrome.  The usual meds and stall rest, combined with the use of Chadwick
springs for one round of shoeing returned the hoof to its normal shape and
the horse to soundness, and he's had no problems since (this was 4-5 years
ago).

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky