Re: Sheath Swelling

My 6 year old gelding had a very serious case of dryland distemper (pidgeon
fever) in his sheath almost a year and a half ago.  It had to be surgically
opened and drained because it never came to the surface.  The vet had to
locate the abscess with ultrasound because it was two inchces from the
surface.  He stayed in the vet clinic for 10 days after the surgery for twice
daily irrigation.  He still has significant scar tissue and swelling in his
sheath on that side.  He seems to be sore only some of the time, but he is
almost always very uncomfortable going down steep hills.  It is much worse
after he has not been ridden for a while.  My vet says that it is just scar
tissue, but I would like to find out if there is some way to treat this since
he is still so uncomfortable traveling downhill.

Thank you for any input.

Debby Lyon and Belessemo Malik