carbo during exercise

Well, now I've got to jump in the discussion.  It seems that giving
1 ounce of carbohydrate per hour to a horse DURING EXERCISE  is being
called "carbo loading", a takeoff on what human athletes do.  Of
course, this is not at all carbohydrate loading.  Carbo loading
refers to altering the normal diet to one that supplies a higher
percentage of carbohydrate for SEVERAL DAYS prior to competition.
The purpose of such a regimen is to encourage atypically large
amounts of glycogen to be stored.  By supercompensating the muscle
with carbohydrates, exercise duration can be extended.  In SOME
studies in humans, at least.
 Assuming that we all understand that giving 1 ounce of carb per hour
to a horse during exercise is NOT carbo loading, we should evaluate
how such recommendations have come into being.  In humans and
 in rodents, providing carbs during exercise simply provides an
exogenous source of carbhohyrate.  It has been repeatedly been shown
in these species that carbs during exercise have the effect of
sparing the limited muscle glycogen supply.  Such dosing regimens
have quite consistently been shown to extend the time to fatigue, as
opposed to fasting during the exercise bout.  In humans the
recommendation is 1.5 -3 ounces of carb per hour during exercise.
This is not enough energy to meet their total caloric exercise needs,
by any means,  but it does offset their expenditure.  It would seem
to me that all discussions regarding carbohydrate intake during
exericise in endurance  horses is moot until someone does research
which demonstrates:

 1) that glycogen is severly depleted in endurance
horses at the end of an endurance ride when animals are fed typical
foodstuffs; 2)  that providing horses with  such small amounts of
carb during exercise [1/2 that recommended for a 150 pound man]
actually spares use of muscle glycogen to a statistically significant
degree 3) that enhanced glycogen levels actually allow horses to
perform for a longer time at the intensities typical during endurance
events.

Well, off to the land of ice and snow.  Urrrhhhhh winter!!
Best to all,

Beth Glace MS
Sports Nutritionist
Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, NY

<<Because while the body can store sufficient fatty acids in the body
to fuel an entire 100 mile ride, it cannot store enough glycogen on
board (or eat enough) to even come close.  Have you ever worked out
the numbers of just how many Mcals an average horse burns just
puttering along for 100 miles?  Pretty amazing.

Susan G>>