Problem horse

Hi,
I have posted to Ridecamp before about Cien, who is a 3 1/2 to 4 year old
unregistered gelding which I bought from a horse trader on the Mexican
border.  He was really super thin (as are most of the horses brought over
from Mexico) when I got him but otherwise healthy.  Since I've had him (
around two or at the most, three months), he has had three hoof abcesses
and numerous other lamenesses in his joints as well.  After the first
abcess, I started him on a biotin supplement and also treated the hoof with
Koppertox.  It has recurred twice since then and in the same hoof.  He also
has lost two of his front teeth in his lower jaw.  I am feeding him more
coastal than he can eat and a coffee can each of 10% sweet feed and whole
oats plus one cup of Calf Manna 1xd and a cup of corn oil 1xd and the grain
and hay are fed twice a day.  He is turned out on 4 acres with an older
"buddy" and due to his lamenesses I haven't even been riding him.  He's not
gaining any weight and I'm wondering if maybe he is "growing" instead of
gaining weight.  His feet (the length) are REALLY growing fast.  Could this
be what triggered losing his teeth and possibly part of why he has been
sore in his joints several times?  He's a super sweet natured little guy
and built really nice, I just am having a hard time getting him to the
point where I can start riding him!   I don't understand what's going on
with his feet and also can't figure out why he's not gaining weight and why
he has lost the teeth.  Anyone had any experience with extremely
malnourished young horses???  Could it be he's growing?   I hope this
doesn't sound really stupid, I've had horses all my life but this one has
got me stumped.  He was intended to be my future endurance horse...
Rachael and little Cien (who's about 13.2 hands and skinny)