Re: To Carbo or Not to Carbo??

Ti's Reply to me:

horsetrails@inficad.com writes:

<< Personally Ti, I like his recoveries better without the carbs, but that may
 be because by the time I got done using it we'd had 5 ld's and 1 50 under
 his belt and he probably was just better at the whole thing anyway. >>

Well, with more available energy you're going have higher RERs, so your
observation about carbs is valid. It's just that it's not a negative thing, in
this case.

> What
 do I like more without it, he seems to get better scores on hydration (and
 he's always drank great from the beginning), doesn't tire himself out as
 much, he's always had phenomenal cardiac recoveries so I don't know if that
 has helped any there, but he pees now when before using carbs I'd get
 pretty nervous because he wouldn't pee during a ride and would wait an hour
 or more after the ride until he'd go.  Without carbs he will pee at the
 vc's now.  That is the big thing I've noticed.  Then again my horse is a
 shy pee'r <vbg>, he will not pee in his trailer, has to have an old pile of
 hay to pee on at home, hates to get his legs messy, so maybe he is finally
 saying "AH heck with it" and just peeing when he has to. >>

With the carbs he'll retain more water--for every gram of stored glycogen, 2-3
grams of water is necessary to store it. As it burns, that water is released.

ti