RE: To Carbo or Not to Carbo??

OOps I meant to send this to RC and Ti, not just Ti so I will follow with
Ti's reply too:}

On Monday, January 04, 1999 1:50 PM, Tivers@aol.com [SMTP:Tivers@aol.com]
wrote:
> In a message dated 1/4/99 9:58:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> horsetrails@inficad.com writes:
>
> << Ok I'll come out of hiding:}  I used carbs on Blue for his first
season.
>   He did great and the carbs gave him that last little ummpffhhh that he
>  needed in the last 6 miles when we were first started.  Then I forgot it
>  one time and he did just as good without it.  That may of been that over
>  time I've modified my feeding program, learned what he will eat at a
ride
>  and what he won't and so now he eats tons the night before and doesn't
run
>  out of gas anymore.  I never had any trouble with carbs, cept for the
mess
>  and the hassle of giving it every 2 hours.  I've since stopped because
once
>  I found out he is doing just as well without it it didn't make any sense
>  me giving it to him.  I try to keep it simple.  But carbs really helped
us
>  to get past his wall when he used to have one:}
>
>                                    Cheryl Newbanks >>
>
> And your protocol was 2 oz roughly every 2 hours?
>
> ti
Yup actually i used more like 2.5 oz every two hours.  Blue is a big arab
standing at 15.2h and just bumping it up 1/2 oz more made the difference.
 When I tried 3oz every 2 hours he got hot headed and spooky.  So a small
change can make the difference.  I personally can't imagine using 3+oz at
all because of the reaction I got from Blue on 3 oz.  He spooked at every
shadow, rock and bird and this is a horse that NEVER spooks and is
virtually bomb proof.

Personally Ti, I like his recoveries better without the carbs, but that may
be because by the time I got done using it we'd had 5 ld's and 1 50 under
his belt and he probably was just better at the whole thing anyway.  What
do I like more without it, he seems to get better scores on hydration (and
he's always drank great from the beginning), doesn't tire himself out as
much, he's always had phenomenal cardiac recoveries so I don't know if that
has helped any there, but he pees now when before using carbs I'd get
pretty nervous because he wouldn't pee during a ride and would wait an hour
or more after the ride until he'd go.  Without carbs he will pee at the
vc's now.  That is the big thing I've noticed.  Then again my horse is a
shy pee'r <vbg>, he will not pee in his trailer, has to have an old pile of
hay to pee on at home, hates to get his legs messy, so maybe he is finally
saying "AH heck with it" and just peeing when he has to.

Pros:  Carbs got us through the first year of ld's and our first 50 without
a lack of energy towards the end of the ride.  I found it a useful
supplement till we got to the point where he was fit enough to not need it
anymore.  It was also a useful supplement to use until Blue learned to eat
in camp the night before a ride, which is probably the real reason why he
doesn't run out of gas anymore. On my backup horse who I've done 2 ld's on,
on his last 25 I used carbs at the vc only so we'd have that edge we need
towards the end without getting tired.  It worked and I was pleased with
his recoveries, we top 10'd and he did score good for BC cept I'm a light
weight and we NEVER WIN BC, always loose out to a heavy weight rider:{  I
sure wish they would implement separate BC weight categories but then that
is another thread all together<GRIN>!

                                  Cheryl Newbanks
~~~           ~~ ^ ^        SW Region
~~~\      _ ~~/ /\ /        Buckeye, AZ