RE: To Carbo or Not to Carbo??

On Monday, January 04, 1999 9:15 PM, Tivers@aol.com [SMTP:Tivers@aol.com]
wrote:
.

> > What
>> do I like more without it, he seems to get better scores on hydration
(and
>>  he's always drank great from the beginning), doesn't tire himself out
as
>>much, he's always had phenomenal cardiac recoveries so I don't know if
that
>>  has helped any there, but he pees now when before using carbs I'd get
>>  pretty nervous because he wouldn't pee during a ride and would wait an
hour
>>  or more after the ride until he'd go.  Without carbs he will pee at the
>>  vc's now.  That is the big thing I've noticed.  Then again my horse is
>>  shy pee'r <vbg>, he will not pee in his trailer, has to have an old
pile of
>>  hay to pee on at home, hates to get his legs messy, so maybe he is
finally
>>  saying "AH heck with it" and just peeing when he has to. >>
>
> With the carbs he'll retain more water--for every gram of stored
glycogen, 2-3
> grams of water is necessary to store it. As it burns, that water is
released.

> ti

OK I guess I'll stir the pot here and get ready to hit my idiot button<vbg>
Soooooo, from what I've gathered from your response Ti, if I had a horse
who was prone to tie up, or like Blue who just doesn't pee enough, carbs
may not be a good thing.  I imagine if he is retaining water and not peeing
he could get into a bad situation like that.  I guess my next question is
why does he pee better without the carbs?  You'd think with retaining water
from the carbs he'd pee more.

                                  Cheryl Newbanks
~~~           ~~ ^ ^        SW Region
~~~\      _ ~~/ /\ /        Buckeye, AZ