Re: Carbo loading products

In a message dated 1/4/99 11:30:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< ecause while the body can store sufficient fatty acids in the body to
 fuel an entire 100 mile ride, it cannot store enough glycogen on board
 (or eat enough) to even come close.  Have you ever worked out the
 numbers of just how many Mcals an average horse burns just puttering
 along for 100 miles?  Pretty amazing.  A constant IV drip of pure carbs
 won't provide enough fuel, but any horse in good body condition already
 has a full gas tank on board.  I'd rather have a full tank of smokey old
 diesel than a pint of rocket fuel, but best of all I'd like to have a
 whole lot of smokey old diesel PLUS a pint of rocket fuel to make sure
 it keeps burning.

 Susan G

Problem is, at the most, fat will provide only about 65% of the necessary fuel
no matter what you feed--so have you calculated the Mcals necessary from carbs
and proteins to finish that 100 miles?????

By the way, on your recommendation I did get Lon Lewis' latest book. Still a
pretty bright fellow and certainly not in love with fat. I'll pull some quotes
for you when I get back.

Meanwhile, you can only deny your own experiences for just so long before you
realize that something's wrong with your calculations. What's wrong is the
underlying premise.

ti