Trail trimmers

linda_cowles@mentorg.com writes:

> Trail work", for us, can often be done at a brisk trot, clipping as we
>  go (half halt and clip)

Oh darn, I thought my husband had invented this game!! We call it Clipping-On-
The-Fly, no half halts here!  He has several pairs of hand clippers, the best
ones seem to have a straight blade about 3 inches long. Curved blades take a
little more accuracy, therefore sometimes missing a branch.  This weekend I
was riding behind him on the beautiful Goethe trails, I noticed he could cut a
branch 2" in diameter, while trotting down the trail.  Apparently this looked
like fun, as some of the other non-endurance spouses have taken up this mini-
hobby. The local Army-Navy store sells an 18" machete w/ a sheath for 10.00.
This attaches to the saddle along with the hand-clippers in a pliers sheath
like the electricians use. Beginners should perfect their hand-clipper skills
before attempting the machete, unless your horse understands sign-language.
<VBG>

Happy Trails,
Jackie Baker

PS The perfect hand-clipper would have a hole in the end of the handle for
attaching a lanyard and perhaps a slightly longer blade.  If you know of such
a tool, please let me know, Valentine's Day is coming up!