Re: Splints

>Do you think it matters where the splint is..... like, is it rubbing
>on
>tendons or ligaments?

My friend's horse did 300 miles with a huge splint, then had a little
lameness problem.  The ride vet thought it was irritating a ligament,
then our personal vet probed pretty hard and the horse reacted to the
pain on the knot, something that should have been old and set.  He took
an x-ray and there was a small loose chip in there. They did surgery and
removed it.  He's done 3 50's since then with no problems.  By the way,
the "knot" is bigger than ever after surgery, but no problem apparently.

Kaboot had a splint pointed out to me when I bought him.  He'd gotten it
as a foal.  I've never even had a vet mark it on his ride card. He's got
around 1400 miles so it obviously hasn't gotten worse.

Had another horse shatter his rear splint in a pasture fall, and had to
have major surgery to remove it.  He won 1st place in a show just a about
8 weeks later.  Took a photo with his blue ribbon on his bridle and the
IV mark still shaved on his neck.  He jumps now.

Angie

Angie

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]