Re: Splints

I can't remember if he had both splints or just the one when I bought him
back in 97... he hadn't had them when I had him as a youngster.  I do think
they got somewhat larger and that the added stress of endurance has
contributed to that.  My farrier husband says that is what causes
splints... stress or stress from an injury.  Splints are sort of what was
left of one of the early toes of the horse (remember evolution?) and
normally they are held in place on the leg by ligament (I think.... anyone
correct us if we're wrong) and stress can cause these to get popped out of
place, hence the expression to "pop" a splint.  Splints are not mortally
dangerous and we have had no problem with the ones on my gelding.  They can
vary in size at times, too and I think I read a post earlier that stated
someone had a horse with splints that disappeared when he was older.  I
don't know if it matters where the splint is, some are higher and some are
lower (my gelding's are fairly high).... any vet or expert that can shed
light on that?
Maggie