Re: Purina Athlete

> Hi all....on one of my treks to the feed store I came across a new product
>(new to me atleast) called Purina Athlete.  I have never heard about this
>product and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this food?
> I started feeding this because my Arabian has tendency to drop weight when
he
>is racing.  I feed a good quality grass hay and they receive oats and sweet
>feed.  I do not feed alfalfa because of various reasons. I need to put this
>weight on my horse and the amount of oil he would need would be impossible
>feed him.  SO....this feed has a lot of fat and protein, it goes like
>this.....
>Crude protein not less than...............14%
>Crude fat not less that ......................14%
>Crude fiber not more than..................4.0%
>
>All I am wondering is if anyone can see any problem with this feed, or has
>heard anything about this, either good or bad.  I greatly appreciate any
>information you might have and can give.  Thank you all so very much!!!
>
>It is so warm here lately that all of the horses are shedding, whoopee!!!!!
>
>Johnna Robb
>Arizona
>Olympian06@aol.com
Johnna,
    I have discussed this feed with a Purina nutrition expert from our area.
I am considering it seriously to put weight on my gelding. He hates corn
oil. He won't eat rice bran or beet pulp. He reluctantly ate FatPack, but
then developed pulse hanging problems which quit when I took him off
FatPack.. I feed Omalene 200 and crimped oats along with all the coastal hay
they want. I supplement alfalfa when competing. I would like to hear how
your horse responds to Athlete. I am confident that it is a good product
from looking at the literature and talking to the representative. The other
suggestion she had was Purina Senior.
Mary Fields