Re: Tying up/carbocharge

ok gang.. I really don't have the time to go into this too much
-again..I have LOTS of repairs  to work on and 'other 'business stuff..
BUT this issue or problem should be addressed.

I started 'testing' the concept of giving a carbo supplement during a
ride over 2 years ago. I posted a number of emails. TI was in on all
this.
There are about 20 to 50 riders currently using a form of this
supplement. MOST will not talk about it.

First this supplement is just processed corn sugar.. multi dextrose or
poly saccirides.. glucose polymers slow up take with chromium piconate
to control insulin efficiency and the glucose tolerance factor.

but it is NOT anything magic. it is just the processed starch that you
would get from digesting grain   like corn.
now if everyone will read all the  articles written by DR KATHY CRANDEL
(Phd) AERC KER etc etc..
she tells us WHY CORN is a BAD feed during a race.. and even everyday
use.  the feed -grain does cause digestion problems.
and during a race corn can cause colic.

part of the reason i started this test was to see if some other form of
'corn' would provide the additional carbohydrates=glucose= glycogen.

the fuel our horses CAN burn and MUST burn to burn the FAT.

during a 50 miler or more the horse will use up allot or most of the
free  glycogen and blood glucose..my tests prove the blood glucose will
drop to a very low level during a slow CTR.. i use the ELITE
Glucometer.. from any drug store. and take a blood sample before and
during a race

I have data -numbers to prove this  albeit they are somewhat erratic, i
have enough info to prove to ME what happens during a race.. and I have
the performance of my horse along with data to prove -to me- that
controlled use of this supplement will offer better results then feeding
grain  DURING a ride/race.
I will try to put all this together sometime.

I started out SLOW using LOW levels of the product..to see how much MY
horse would use during a race. I ramped up the dose as the race went on.
I NEVER pre-load. I use about 2 oz each vet check or every 2 hrs

The product developed by VITA FLEX was developed for the TB RACE
HORSE..that was the target market.. i.e. Tom Ivers mix B..
The TB user concept is NOT THE SAME as ours -or MINE.

I did NOT want to  pre-load.. I feed regular feed during the week and
during the condx process. BUT did NOT want to use GRAIN during the race.

 I wanted to feed the fire with a faster safer source of carbohydrates
to quickly digest into glucose to further process into glycogen--

just another fuel source..
its NOT the CARBOHYDRATES that colic's a horse IT IS THE GRAIN. and the
digestion process. feeding grain to a fiber digestion system. when the
system is compromised by the stress of a race.. an un-natural event.
The system does not process the grain efficiently.

Some words were written by Dr MMS dvm that carbohydrates are the horses
enemy and FAT is his friend.. WELL the horse will hit the wall and stop
if he runs out of glucose/glycogen.. so I disagree.

You cannot feed FAT during a race.. he must burn FAT STORES.. gained
from the fiber and grains and oils we feed at home.
The hay we feed at a race does nothing but keep the guts working.
We have to replenish the glycogen.. used to burn the fat.  NOT the FAT..

 have you ever fed FAT- OIL during a race.. I did really messed up my
older mare on the OD50 one year. took an hour to get her back
ontract-was a really a bad idea.

There are studies in progress as we write on this issue.
One of my major decentors Susan G is hopefully working on this for her
PhD. I hope others will take on formal studies.

But for now my 2 years of using this supplement has proven my concept
correct. time will tell more.
AND the reports posted here do appear to support this concept.

I feed my horses 'normal' feed. I use oats barley corn. I found steamed
rolled corn.. as recommended by Dr Crandel.. digests easier and causes
less gut problems.
 I mix 50-25-25 OBC. I use ABC Plus, EquiJewel Rice Bran and COCOSYA oil
(Uckele), beet pulp, I feed no general vit, I feed garlic, and an immune
sys herb mix, VitE/se, CS/GAG.. that's it
 and ride alot of quality conditioning rides

Any horse with a problem of tying up should have that situation resolved
FIRST before trying something new.
and then proceed with caution.

By the way i noted after the slam post from Dr MMS to TI --the posts on
this subject stopped..
No one has the final word on horse nutrition feeding etc.. no matter how
many letters or miles behind the name. New ideas come up all the
time..thats why we get more Phds. Sometimes the new ideas start at grass
roots.

Roger R
FAME the CARBO RAT