Tying up/carbocharge

>charge to leave the system,  I gave him the recomended dose on the container.
>Four ounces daily three days before the ride and before the ride.He also got
>four ounces at the first vet check.

Hi Donna:

I'm not Heidi, but still feel inclined to respond.  Only because I have had
a lot of experience using the carbo-charge - this ride season one horse has
completed 980 AERC miles and the other horse 425 - no pulls and no
metabolic problems (while using carbos).  I'm not just responding to your
questions - but so that other newbies on the list may get a clearer idea
about the 'carbo-charge'.

When you started Buster on the carbos - did you do it for the first time at
the ride?  I always recommend, as with anything new, that you try it at
home first.  Starting out pre-loading three days ahead and then using 4
ounces at the start and during the ride for each dose is *really* jumping
in!!  When I started using the product, I e-mailed Tom Ivers and he
suggested I start with 2 ounce doses at the start and during the ride.
After I was comfortable with that he suggested I could gradually start
pre-loading a day or two ahead and also increase the dose from 2 oz. to 4
oz.  (I still only use 2 oz. doses during the ride, with no pre-loading)

Here are a few of my opinions on the subject, for whatever its worth <G>:

If a horse is already having metabolic problems or difficulty doing an
endurance ride (for whatever reason) then the carbo-charge products are not
going to help.

The carbo-charge shouldn't stay in the system any longer than if you fed
any other type of carbohydrate (Heidi?).

Don't try anything new at a ride, especially new supplements or feed.

Don't use the carbo-charge because your horse needs it.  If a horse 'needs'
it, it shouldn't be out there on the trail.

Do a few hundred miles of competition first to get a baseline on what your
horse is all about before you start trying new things.  How else will you
know if something makes a difference or not?

My horses both love to eat hay.  Lots and lots of hay (we're talking during
a ride).  They generally care less about grain, beet pulp and bran mashes.
By dosing the carbo powder via syringe, I am basically supplementing what
they would be receiving if they were to eat a pound or two of grain at each
vet check.

Pre-loading the horses with carbos (IME) only turns them into idiots.
You're much better off *gradually* increasing the amount of grain ration
(in my case, LMF) in the days before a ride.

I have found a lot of positive benefits from using the carbo-charge.
However, I don't feel that it is necessary.  It is definitely not necessary
on a 25 or 30 mile ride, and I'm not sure worth it for a 50 either.  The
longer distances (100's) and multidays are probably where this type of
product is most suited.  The most important benefit I have witnessed
firsthand is that both of my horses keep their weight.  I have a horse that
has done a ride every other weekend for eight weeks including two 100's -
and he keeps his weight like you wouldn't believe.  Mostly from eating hay
- he gets 2 pounds of LMF daily and THAT IS IT.  He does get a Vit E/SE
supplement, and probiotic.  Hay is straight timothy grass.  I carbo him
every 2 hours on a ride and following the ride for a day or two - depends
on the ride distance, etc.

I hope this helps somebody.  I just don't want a bunch of new people going
out and trying something because they read about it on ridecamp -- please
anybody feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.   Or if you
really want to know more about the carbo products, ask Susan G. or ti.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Dream Weaver
& Rocky

P.S. Wish us luck - this Saturday Weaver will do the ride that puts him
over 1,000 miles for the season :)