Re: Tying up/carbocharge

While my name is not Heidi I think I can answer some of your questions.
First off you state <<<I had been feeding him shredded beet pulp rice bran
corn oil vit/mineral mix and winners daily for the last year now with good
results.  I hope you can see something in my routine that may be the cause
of this. I have a hunch the carbo charge set him off>>>

How about you consider going back to  a basic HORSE DIET!! Start out with
plenty of good water available at all times, plenty of good grass hay, some
electrolytes (mineralized salt) and a reasonable amount of exercise.

Then, after getting the horse used to a reasonable diet once again, start
your conditioning and training and finally competition. After twenty plus
years of competition in endurance riding at local, regional, national and
international levels we have yet to find a need for such exotic diets as
you describe. Be assured we were never taking 8 - 10 hours for the average
fifty mile ride either. With over 26,000 miles of competition and 96% of
them in the top ten, and horses that did 5,000 miles with out a pull we
were not lacking for energy, stamina or ability attributable to diet.

some extent on this.)

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

----------
> [...]
> To: Ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Tying up/carbocharge
> Date: Tuesday, September 29, 1998 11:25 AM
>
> Heidi,
>
>         I have a very touchie horse.  I have found that in the spring the
rice
> pasture grass will set him off.  So this spring I put him in a run with
no
> grass and fed him grass alf.  We had a wonderful spring and summer
experience
> with no occurance of his problem.  I had his sel. level checked and it
was .21
> the vet said this was fine he also checked the vit. e level and found it
fine.
> Thank you for having me ask the vet to do this.  Now my problem is back
and
> woundering why.  I took Buster on an endurance ride did a fifty in ten
hours
> great time and excellent vet scores.  Next ride a fifty, excellent vet
scores
> ten hours mabey slight tyup out on the trail or just did not want to go
any
> further alone.  I still don't know when we got in excellent vet scores an
no
> problems.  Next ride fifty miles.  I hurd about this carbo-charge on the
net
> and so I ordered it .  My thinking was for energy level muscle fatigue,
sore
> and stiff muscles and better recoveries.  I did the ride cuneo creek we
did it
> in about eight hours.  Good recoveries and vet scores.  When we came
across
> the finish line he had been doing so well I was going to vet him right
in.  He
> got very ill as soon as I got off.  The vet treated him for colic.  It is
now
> three weeks later and every time I take him for a walk he tyes up, very
bad
> had the vet out he took blood and cpk 2500 .Vet says not good yes he tyed
up
> but not real bad levels.  Question,  How long will it take for this carbo
> charge to leave the system,  I gave him the recomended dose on the
container.
> Four ounces daily three days before the ride and before the ride.He also
got
> four ounces at the first vet check.  I also gave him Lyte Now
electrolites
> which have a corn syrup base.  My vet feels that sugar in any form could
set
> him off. I had been feeding him shredded beet pulp rice bran corn oil
> vit/mineral mix and winners daily for the last year now with good
results.  I
> hope you can see something in my routine that may be the cause of this.
> have a hunch the carbo charge set him off.  If so why is it taking so

Brow/Buster