Re: Rebuild a foot

Hi Linda!

When I first got Magnum he had gotten to the point in
the winter he couldn't even wear shoes!  So I switched
farriers.  We must have rebuilt his hoof for a year.
It's great stuff.  Not only did the shoes stay on and
the epoxy grow out with the hoof, he was sound and happy.
I was able to condition him and he did his first 30
miler on rebuilt hooves!  The vet looked at him a bit
funny (between the broken ankle and rebuilt hooves) but
I explained and he said go.  We finished slow but fine
with all 4 shoes.

>Has anyone had this done for their horse?  If the horse was otherwise
>sound, did they compete with the hooves rebuilt?  Mike would like to
>take him on a LD in early November as his last ride of the season, but I
>worry about the concussion affecting the debrided area.

Tell Mike to go for it.  As long as the horse is sound and
happy, his feet are as good as new.  There are some old
posts out there in the early archives.  I wrote about the
stuff a LOT.  Magnum would pull a shoe and 1/2 his foot
off and Freddie would come out and rebuild the whole thing.
We'd be back to riding.  Amazing.

Good Luck and let us know how he does.

:) - Kat Myers
in San Mateo, CA with Magnum the TB ex-racer
and Mr Maajistic... steely-eyed endurance Arab