RE: over-reaching

I don't agree with the lowering the angle of the hind feet to prevent over
reaching or forging. It's an old fashioned concept that in my opinion has
been disproved. It just puts strain on the soft structures of the hind legs,
and actually causes a lower and longer arc of movement. Do the same thing to
front and hind feet. Leave the heels alone, trim only the toes (unless your
horse really grows good heels) and get a good match of hoof angle to pastern
angle. Then place the shoes on the feet back from the toe , 1/4"-1/2", so
the hoof toe hangs over the toe of the shoe. Rasp the excess toe off. It
should look noticeably dubbed off. Ideally use a shoe like the St. Croix
Eventer which has a rolled edge or roll the toe of the shoes all around. The
heels of the shoes need to extend past the heels of the feet to provide
support and encourage correct heel growth. This is a more "natural" balance
for the horse and it works. No need to try to make the front feet do one
thing and the hind feet do another. The only horses I've seen have problems
with this is a horse that has completely collapsed (non-existent) heels on
the front feet. Seen a couple of TB's off the track like this. Even this
problem may be fixable over a longer period of time with the right shoeing.
It can be really hard to get a farrier to try something different. I always
tell my farrier ahead of time that this is my choice, I take responsibility
if it doesn't work, I won't blame him, yadda, yadda yadda, and I mean it.
Can't blame someone for not wanting to be bad mouthed if something doesn't
work. Go to www.horseshoes.com and read the bulletin boards about this type
of problem. You'll find similar suggestions.

Bonnie Snodgrass