Re: Heart Murmur

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:02:28 EDT SandyDSA@aol.com wrote:

> I would love to hear from vets and others who have had experience with horses
> with murmurs of any kind, illness or genetically related. Thanks!
> sandy

A couple of years ago I was participating in the High Desert Triple
Crown rides.  In the 20 Mule Team 55, I think, at the 2nd vet check Dr.
Beason mentioned that he heard a murmur in my horse.  I had never heard
it, nor had it been detected or mentioned by any other vet at other
rides.  Later on in the ride, Dr. Beason heard it again and I asked if
I should be worried (my gelding was 5 yrs old at the time).  He said
that I shouldn't be too concerned, that in fact easily 20% of the
horses participating in the ride have murmurs.

If murmurs are this common, I assume that most are genetic and not
caused by illness.

We have gone on to participate in more 50s, and successfully completed
our first one-day 100 last June.  Funny, no one has since mentioned the
murmur and I'd actually forgotten about it.

Question for the vets: isn't it sometimes possible that you'll hear
more valve noise in some animals than others?  Years ago, during a
physical exam, an intern told me that I had a heart murmur.  Later, my
primary physician said no, but that with my small size and shallow
chest, they can "hear more" than in other people, so they mistake that
for a murmur.

Does this make sense?

Colleen Carlton
Sylmar, CA