Re: Vandalism

Amber,
You can imagine how I felt when - for the third time - someone had come on our
propetry and vandalized our barn area. This time they took our spray scarlet
oil AND Furazone Spray - a new can, and can't be replaced - and spra painted
all over the place, horse heads, their NAMES (how stupid is THAT??) and whips
and bridles, etc. Well, when I found who it was,(friends of a student's sister
who weren't even supposed to be here in the FIRST place), the mother of the
student simply said, "Well, they have DEVELOMENTAL problems so  I can't hold
them responsible"> Well, I DO hold them AND HER responsible, and so I told her
if she awnts her daughter to continue to ride, not ONE SINGLE PERSON,
including her and the sister, are allowed on the property again. The gate is
locked  and my daughters are instructed not to open the front door, and I told
them I didn't care if they have to pee. Why don't they go home and come back
AFTER the lesson? I have NO IDEA. Lunatics I think. Anyway, I am with you - I
was not raised this way. We didn't litter, we didn't spit in public - or
private - we didn't swear, still don't. It is called respect and decency -
something sorely lacking today. So parents, where ARE YOU while your children
are learning this despicable behaviour??? One thing is for certain - I
wouldn't trade being at home with our daughters during their growing years for
anything. We do without fine things - furniture, dishes, new cars - and it is
worth every bit to know who my kids and and who they are with.

Understandibly, it is certainly not always the KIDS doing the nasty thigns -
pulling ribbons at rides, vandalizing homes and barns and cutting tails off
show horses, etc. It should be more shocking that it ISN'T always kids, but
certainly explains where the kids get it from. Amber, wou are correct - the
emphasis on "feeling good" as opposed to doing good is sickening. As I tell my
kids, Self-esteem is not a gift - no one can give it to you. You EARN it over
the years. The reward? All that TRUST your parents supposedly should have in
you. Is it any wonder I can't find a good teenage worker around here? Well, I
can't. I don't get it, but there it is. But then, I would be afraid to leave
these teens alone on our property any more. We are in southern California and
it is a  less than sterile society here. Eveyrthing is okay as long as you
FEEL GOOD about it. Hmmm. What say, Amber? Where are you from again?
sandy