RE: picket lines

Tina,

I used to use a picket line for my mare; however, she would escape every
night and go visiting around camp.  And, she is a very white gray, so
she looked like a ghost sneaking around!  She would simply work on the
knot until she got it untied.  Then I tried a bunge with snaps on both
ends and she got that unhooked too!  She never does escape antics at
home <g>.  So, I now have her in a pen and she doesn't try to leave.  I
sleep better and my mare still walks around quite a bit.

I put her buddy,  a non-endurance gelding who accompanies us (since no
one is home to feed him), on the picket line and he's only escaped
once.  We have a nice picket set up that doesn't require trees or
trailers to tie to - my husband welded some pipe together into tall
tripods and, as long as you use stops on the rope so the horses can't
get near the tripods, it is very safe and secure.

--
Trish and Zsa Zsa
Central Region