Re: picket lines

>It is safer NOT to use a carbeaner (sp).

What's a carbeaner?

I've been using a picket-line for about a year now.  Before that I used a
PVC corral and a metal corral.  I sleep much better with Kaboot on the
Picket line.  I've yet to have to get a horse untangled the first time.
Dawn Saunders was VERY amused.  Said she'd never seen an Arab hung out to
dry!

I use about 30' of rope and tie it to the bar that is the divider on the
back of my 2 horse trailer.  Around here we usually have trees to run it
to.  I've seen a rig (Jim Barnett's) where he's got a post with guide
wires that he drives in to be the other end...that's a little scary.

I put "knot eliminators" (Teddy sells them) about 6' from the trailer,
and 6' from the tree,  this ensures that he won't hook his halter on the
trailer doors or get wrapped around, or chew the tree.

I use one of my rear shipping boots to run the rope through to protect
the tree's bark.  I have a loose ring on the rope that I tie the lead
rope to.

BIG HINT:  Use a lead with a bull snap.  For some reason, horses tend to
get off the others.  Also, use a soft rope so that if he ever does get a
leg over it, there'll be less damage.  I wouldn't use a rope with a chain
on it at all.

During the first day especially, make sure your overhead rope hasn't
sagged.  (He should be able to walk under it with his head up)  The best
way to get it really tight is to run the rope around the trailer divider,
then back to the hole in the knot eliminater, then REALLY pull it tight
(back towards the trailer) before tying it off.

Keep another lead handy so that when you take your horse for walks, etc,
you don't have to re-do your picket lead length every time.

You can put two horses on the same rope if you'll put two knot
eliminater's in the middle, about 6' apart. (far enough to keep them from
being able to get near each other.  If you're having to run a rope
between two trailers, this might be a way to make it work for both
trailer owners.  I also put a big muck bucket of water and the hay pile
between them.  They seem to eat and drink more when they're trying to
outdo each other.  If they don't know each other, you might not want them
that close.

My favorite part of the picket line is how quick it goes up and down.  A
close second is the fact that it's really secure...but then, I'm not a
person who EVER goes off to a restaurant or anything, where he might get
a leg over and have trouble. I hang very close to camp.

Angie McGhee & Kaboot

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]