Re: picket lines

It is safer NOT to use a carbeaner (sp). The picket line should be
higher then the horses head (6" above average head height) and you can
tie a lead rope to the picket line. Let the lead rope hang and it should
be about 6-8" above the ground. The horse can now have a 10-11 ft circle
and walk under the rope and eat sleep and even lie down.

We used this method in Yosemite with two horses that had never been on
picket lines and we had no problems.

I would like to do this at rides too, but I need a second trailer to tie
the line to and so far have never been in an arrangement where this
could be done. It helps to have a friend park next to you.

Lauren