re CTR

Sue,

I've been trying to learn about CTR also...but from what I've read, this
area sounds more complicated with a lot more rules to remember and strange
obstacles to maneuver around or thru.  Am I way off base here? >>>>>>>>

There is more than one sanctioning body for CTR, you seem to be
decribing NATRC.  They do (at least did) make you navigate some
special trail obstacles. They are juding how you ride and how the
horse reacts to various things -ie water or boggy spots for part of
your score.  I quit NATRC years ago in part because some of the judges
actually counted off if your horse jumped downed tree limbs instead of
stepping over and similar nit-picky things.  Some CTR groups just score on
condition of the horse throughout the ride though.   And while NATRC
has a lot of rules, you can learn some good horse-care tips for
traveling with the horse and riding distance so I would not tell
anyone not to try them.  (if Wa. area is anything like Co was expect
to hear plenty of endurance bashing though)

Teresa