Re: LD Rules

At 07:41 PM 9/22/98 -0400, Heidi wrote:
>In a message dated 98-09-22 19:27:27 EDT, sbrown@wamedes.com writes:
>
><< And, yes, the smaller amounts actually did encourage
> people to join. >>
>
>Sue, the main point I am trying to make here is that by giving riders a
chance
>to sample the sport in a friendly, inexpensive fashion, we get a lot of them
>to join.  <snip -- more good philosophies on rider memberships>

I see your point.  Perhaps the dressage organizations did it that way
because it was the *only* way they could increase their memberships in the
lower levels.  Since this was my only frame of reference, it seemed
perfectly normal to me to do it this way.

Treating the new riders
>cordially has been a successful way of doing this, and I simply find it an
>offensive breach of the hospitality for which our sport is known to start
>pushing membership (either join or pay an extra fee) the first time the
>novices walk in the door, so to speak.

Should there be a limit, then, on how many times a novice can ride before
joining?  Or, does this mean that the riders that choose to do only LD
rides (and do them frequently) never have to pay the sanctioning
organization?  Perhaps this is not even an issue and there aren't that many
who would fall into that category.  This whole concept is pretty new to me
so I appreciate being able to bounce my thoughts around here. ;-)

  Which is why I also don't understand why the
>Board is trying to add more expenses for managers trying to put on "fun"
>rides, either--these managers are working their buns off to bring in new
>people, which is good for AERC.  At least we get to vote on that issue, and I
>hope our membership votes it down.

As a member now, and thanks to the patient explanations given, I will have
a much better idea of what's being voted on and how I feel myself. ;-)

  That's why
>we are dropping our AERC LD's entirely next year in favor of a non-NATRC CTR
>format--hopefully it will provide more rider education as well as give the LD
>riders a shorter distance to ride in a competitive, controlled manner.  Just
>my .02...

I've been trying to learn about CTR also...but from what I've read, this
area sounds more complicated with a lot more rules to remember and strange
obstacles to maneuver around or thru.  Am I way off base here?

Sue (who appreciates any and all info that can help educate this poor, old
brain! ;-))

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.