coastal/timothy vs alfalfa in NM

I will be hauling my horse to Alb NM, where my sister lives, several
times a year.  From there I will do a few NM rides.  My sister will be
taking her new horse to rides also.  While in Alb this week, I visited
several of the local feed stores and also the barn that my sister's
horse is at until she is ready to keep it at her house.  The barn only
feeds alfalfa hay (no other type of hay) and none of the feed stores
we visited carried anything other than alfalfa, on a regular basis.
The newpaper classifieds advertised only alfalfa with one or two ads
for timothy (from far away).  The feed store folks said there is not a
demand for anything other than alfalfa.  I feed coastal, can I take it
from home with me and cross the NM boarder with it?  And what would be
a good idea for my sister concerning feeding her horse hay in Alb.
Once her barn is built she will be able to have big loads delivered
from far away (like coastal or timothy....I don't know much about
timothy).  I have sent my sister all this info about hay and she
doesn't want to be feeding alfalfa exclusively or at all, if she
doesn't have to do so.  Thanks, Marilyn and Khal in San Angelo, TX