blankets and coolers

Khal and I will start our traveling/camping out career in Nov.  After
that time we will be going places at least once a month, mostly in
Texas but often in New Mexico too.  Khal lives outside year round in
west Texas, where the climate is not that cold in the winter (altho
blazing hot in the summer).  I've never owned a horse blanket or
cooler but have the idea that I may need a blanket for trailering in
the colder months and for cold nights when Khal is tied up to the
trailer overnight (waterproof in case it rains?).  Also once we start
training hard thruout the colder months, I am wondering if I will need
a sheet that will allow Khal to dry off and cool down faster and
without getting chilled?.  So what do you experienced folks think I
need and what would you suggest that I buy?  There are so many
blankets and coolers in the catalogs for a wide variety of prices...I
have no idea how to start picking one out and I have limited bucks so
it is important that I only purchase what is useful and that I really
do need.
Thanks Marilyn and Khal in San Angelo Texas
0 LD miles & 0 endurance miles YET but we both just got our AERC
#s!!!!