fetlock injury

Desperately in need of help in Budapest

Last Saturday at the end of a three hours training ride, Seif, my
Arabian stallion, recognizing the way to the stable made that sharp left
turn... alone.  I literally flew out of the saddle and continued
straight.  The result is an injured right fetlock (Seif's, not mine)
that may take six months to heal, if full healing is possible.

I had the horse examined by two vets, both  professors at the Budapest
University of Veterinary Science, who x-rayed the fetlock in question
and conducted an ultrasound examination.  The diagnostic from the
ultrasound examination is that the outside ligament is injured (sorry
but I cannot recall the name of that ligament, it is the one that splits
in two).  As for the x-rays, they show a "sesamoiditis", whatever that
is, where the injured ligament attaches to the sesamoid bone (the area
appears cloudy on the x-ray).

The good news is that nothing is broken (VBG).

In terms of treatment, Seif will be getting IV injection of
phenylbutazone for 5 to 10 days (it started last Sunday).  Box rest and
within two months we shall start to exercise very gradually.

The traditional treatment in Hungary for this kind of injury would be
anti-inflammatory drugs and box rest.  Because of Seif's performance,
the vets are suggesting that we could start a treatment (expensive I was
told) with one of the following three drugs: Adequan, Hylartil or
Hyalovit.  The treatment would be either intra-muscular or local
injections of the drug, or a combination of local and intra-muscular
injections.

My concern is that those drugs are available in Hungary but there is
little or no experience in using them here.  I feel a little uneasy with
the idea of using Seif as a guinea pig.

From past experience both in the US and here, I can say that I am
probably getting first class veterinary services.  They are currently
discussing this case with their colleagues in Germany and in Hungary.

However, in order for me to make an informed decision, I would be
grateful if you people in Ridecamp, with experience or knowledge in the
use of those drugs could give me some advice and feedback.  If those
drugs do not exist in the US under the same trade name, let me know and
I will try to obtain the name of the active ingredient.

I will also greatly appreciate any suggestion on how to best heal Seif's
injury.

Thanks,

Laurent