ride cancellations

Perhaps those more knowledgeable than I can address what I perceive to be
the obvious.  The AERC and its regional affiliates rely solely on private
enterprise to provide a forum for membership to participate.  These
entrepreneurs are bound by rules established by the AERC for sanctioning,
but are under NO obligation to provide forums for competition except at
their discretion.  Such is the way of private enterprise.  Therefore,
persons willing to provide opportunities to participate are at least as
important to the organization as are the membership.  One without the other
and visa versa, are useless.  Membership is now becoming painfully aware of
the afore mentioned facts via recent ride cancellations.  It is likely, but
not certain, there will always be someone willing to ignore even the most
obvious of risk, and thus continue to provide event forums for endurance
riding in the foolish pursuit of profits, convenience, passion, etc.
However, membership must recognize when risk begins to far exceed reward,
both the number and especially quality of events will suffer and so to will
this sport!  It is both difficult to accept and difficult to ignore,
seekers of celebrity have seemingly prevailed over passion for sport.  "TO
FINISH IS TO WIN"?  It WAS a great idea!

Fred Canfield
ps.  Some may question why quality would suffer.  Even a two digit I.Q. is
capable of discerning the difference between rides put on for profit vs.
love of sport.