Re: great debates

Terry,

Some managers have "novice" rides with vet controls stricter than the LD's
and they do see the vets (3 times -before, during and after.)  Having a fun
ride the next day might be ok but I don't want to see 10-15 mile LD rides
which (I think) the proposed rule change could make common.  The shorter
distances should be only for fun or introduction - I don't want to see
them become a regular thing with a group of people who choose to "excel" ==
"go fast" at that distance because "they don't have time to train for 25-35
miles."  If you bring 10 mile rides under the AERC rules they can become
a race (no minimum time to complete can be set. - rule 5.1)  I personally
feel that a horse that cant go 50 miles should not be racing and the LD
rules are not sufficient to prevent racing - in fact they kind of encourage
racing.  You can bet I will vote against extending LD to shorter
distances.  I want AERC to continue to be about endurance riding -not
turn into a sanctioning body for "pony express" races.  Is there
anything in the rule to prevent having a 10 mile LD and a 25-35
mile LD at the same ride? I don't remember seeing anything like this.

Teresa