Re: started too young?

It sounds to me like this was indeed "light work", assuming his rider didn't
weight a ton.  While I would have continued similar work, but perhaps more of
it, during the four and five year-old years rather than backing off.... this
"schedule" is somewhat similar to what I do with my horses (Morgans). It does
vary a bit from horse to horse as some mature physically a bit more rapidly
than others.  But generally, I start them at two (with my trainer, who weighs
about 110 lbs soaking wet.... wouldn't do it if she were a big person) with
ground work and then usually 60 days of slow, light saddle work where they
simply learn the basics, moving off the leg, responding to the seat, the
basic gaits including a good stop.  After that, they go back home, eat a lot
and grow up a little more. During the rest of their two year-old year, I will
pony them occasionally (pretty much exclusively at a walk) just to let them
get used to sights and sounds on the trail and get a little bit of condition.
I try also to let them learn how to negotiate hills and obstacles. Somewhere
around 3 or 3 1/2... depending on how physically mature they are, I will
start light trail riding again...  again, mostly at a walk with maybe some
slow trotting.  I am at this stage with my three year-old colt.  At three, he
is more physically mature at this age than the two other youngsters I have
had, so he is getting a slightly earlier exposure to the consistent trail
riding than they did. For the four and five year-old year, I'd build muscle
and condition both on the trail and in the arena.  As their physical
capabilities grow, I ask more of them.

As far as any signs of "breakdown"... I'd better leave that to the vets to
answer.  But, if all is as the original owner stated, I personally wouldn't
be too concerned.

Kirsten

--
Kirsten Price