started too young?

Hi Folks-

I am considering the purchase of a 5 yo Arabian that I believe was been
started too young.  He was mounted as a two yo, and did walk trot classes
and some trail riding that year.  His three year old year he did walk
trot canter classes, and more trail riding. He did little his four year
old year, and very little his five year old year (isn't that the reverse
of what a colt starting schedule should be?...:-) )  The owner claims
that it was all light work.

What signs of damage can I be on the lookout for?  If nothing would be
apparent now, what could I expect down the road?  I will certainly have a
pre-purchase exam done, I'm just looking for clues that *I* can look for
at this point.  Is this type of damage something that a typical
pre-purchase exam will detect?

I am looking for a long term distance partner for ECTRA CTRs.  If this
gelding has an increased likelihood of early breakdown, I'd give him a
miss.

Sincere thanks in advance.  Your advice is important to me.

Liz in Belchertown, MA

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]