Re Panting

Hi,
When I first started riding Shanni,my Appaloosa endurance mare,I was
surprised and worried when she would drop her head and take these huge
gulps of air and then also pant ,luckily for me I was riding with a
experienced endurance rider,he saw me trying to pull Shannis head up and
promtly told me to leave her be and then explained why she was doing this
and how a horses cooling system works.He also told me this is a good thing
for a horse to do.
This was about 6 years ago and since then a few of other horses also pant
but now I dont fret or stress out about it all anymore.Thanks to an
experienced rider who told me whats what,as it is I still listen and absorb
(like a sponge) all advice given to me,even though I am a experienced
endurance rider by now.
Just my 2 cents worth again *grin*
Regards
kathy