male support

interesting you should bring this up, as i had the very same questions with my
fiance when he started to ride back in april.  as a woman, this was DEFINITELY
foreign territory <g> however,  by talking to a few riders, we came up with
the following:

1)  as a complete beginner, he had to learn position..and until he did, he
kept banging himself.  after he learned position, it hasnt been a problem at
the trot.  however, he hasnt even come close to mastering the canter...and
thats rather painful.  frank, incidentally, is learning in a huntseat saddle
and also learning to ride english.  down the road, he will do just trail
riding and CTR's. he doesnt have the inclination to do anything else.

2)  if your husband doesnt wear 'tighty whities' (jockey shorts), that, too
was a suggestion given by many male riders.  also,  some men did say they wore
athletic supporters..and well...one even  used a cup for a short while.

the biggest thing we learned in dealing with this situation (god, i cant count
the number of times i heard frank groan..."oooohh...my boys!" from aross the
arena) is that correct riding position will alleviate the problems.
however..until thats learned....try the supporter!

mary in northern new york
with Dottie and Sable