Re: [Fwd: Trails Symposium]

Kaytee,

You are absolutely right on most points.
We as equestrians do share their concern for the environment and trails.
Leadership in organizations does change.
People do learn.
I for one will not pass up the possible opportunity to educate them and move
their view point slightly.  I wrote to ridecamp in hopes that a few friendly
letters to the Sierra Club might help put a wedge into that door to hold it
open for information to flow both ways.
If we give up nothing will change, so do not give up.
Some equestrian on the Sierra Club board of directors and their policy would
change.
It is easier to change an organization from within than from without.
I will encourage Bonnie Davis to write on issues of shared concern.
Equestrians need to move into political decision making positions was the main
thrust of my post.
I am not saying join them in all their dogma, but rather work with them to
show them how parallel our interests are, and educate them when they are in
error about the damage caused by horses to trails.
Our numbers are so small Nationally, we need to be working together with all
horsemen.
In the good old days of TV westerns and rent stables, the public was much
horse friendlier.
Please, I would love to hear your additional suggestions on how to move in
these directions.  I am glad you took the time to respond.

Lynge