Re: [Fwd: Trails Symposium]

The SIERRA CLUB magazine is another place where horse use of national trails
is not represented.

I talked to a Sierra Club office person telling her I would not donate money
until we are represented.  She made it sound so easy.  "Just have an
organization (like AERC or local riding clubs) contact the magazine editor
about writing an article."

I am working with Bonnie Davis of Backcountry Horsemen to write such an
article.  (You have all read many articles by Bonnie Davis in "Western
Horseman" "Trail Blazer" "Ride" and other equine publications.)

Most Governmental Agencies have a Board or Commission made up of interested
citizens who meet monthly with the Director of the organization.  That is true
for County, State or National Parks.  It is time for us to become politically
active.  We need representation in Government.  One person who writes a letter
is commonly considered to represent 100 others who did not take the time to
write.

I now sit on my local Park Commission, which has 7 members.  Only 2% of the
population own horses.  In this County we have a much stronger voice than our
2%.  There are 5 Supervisors who make the decisions.  I wish one of these were
a horseman.  The best we have done is to provide a horse for some of them when
they want to be mounted for some function.

We have a "Trails Committee".  We need to send delegates to all National and
Local Trail Meetings who are empowered to speak for our membership.

Endurance Riders make up only a very small portion of the horse owning
community.  I believe that AERC has a membership of only 6,000 to 7,000
people.  Could we develop an outreach committee.  To have political impact we
need a strong voice from the 2% of the public who do own horses, from Ponies
to Belgiums, as well as the 15% who might like to be involved with horses
someday.

To keep our place on trails we need to spend time:

Writing letters

Developing publicity in newspapers and magazines

Becoming active with the political organizations who have control over our
lands

Send official representation to all Trail or Park meetings

Develop a strong feeling of common interest among all equestrians

Gain support from a larger portion of the non equestrian public

My $.02 worth,

Lynge Simoni
California