Re: Endurance Breeding

Leigh331@aol.com wrote:

I wonder if any of you have ever had any experience with
> an arab/welsh cob cross. I raise arab/welsh pony crosses and they would be
> perfect except that they are too small for me. I'm 5'8" and 145lbs.

My first competitive trail horse was a Arab/Welsh pony mare. She was
14.2 hands and very stocky, extremely athletic, strong, and surefooted.
When I was competing on her, she became known as the little horse with
the big, big heart. One vet commented once that she looked like she'd do
anything for me. I raised two foals out of this mare, which are my two
riding horses now (she was bred to Arab stallions). The gelding, whose
sire was only 14.3 hands, is well over 15 hands. We can't figure out how
he got so big, but he certainly is nice! The mare is about 15 hands.
Hard to believe they both came from that small mare that looked like an
oversized pony.
If you're going to cross an Arabian with something else, for a
trail/competitive horse, I don't think you can beat the Welsh/Arab
cross. It's terrific!
Ruth