Re: horse depression

Hi Rita.
     The best thing you can do for a horse who has lost a companion, is to
get
another companion, preferably one who will not present too great a social
challenge, i.e. one who would be compatable and not overly aggressive,
if possible.  Horses are herd animals and are very unhappy, most of the
time,
being alone.  I wanted to send one of my two horses to my trainer's
facility
for training, but waited until we got a third horse so that my older mare
would
not be alone during the time her son was away.  I believe that  no horse
should
be left alone without a companion, unless they are the rare kind who
prefers only
human company  (I have a friend who has a mare just like that.  She came
from a
very crowded breeding facility and now prefers being an "only child".  She
is sociable
enough on rides, but could care less about other horses at home--she is the
exception
to the rule.) Try to keep them separated but in sight until they get used
to each other.
     I tend to pick up on the emotional responses of horses, and generally
get a feeling
of lonliness or depression from them when they have no other horses for
company.
The kindest thing you could do is give a soitary horse lots of attention,
love and
best of all, a kind companion to bond to.
     Hope this helps, and remember to check out any physical causes of
depression
such as health problems, teeth, digestion, feet, etc. but please don't rule
out the
animal's need for company.
                                                    Linda--in Ormond Bch.,
FL