Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

The day of the 96 ROC there was the remains of a Pacific storm coming
accross.  And you should have heard the whimpering and whining about
humidity.  It must have been all of 40% maybe and about 60 degs at the
start of the race.  I just looked at Mary Ellen Shoemaker - the other FL
rider and laughed.  I don't think I have ever seen the humidity as low
as 40% at any time in my 12 years of living in FL.  From about June till
Oct we get up and the humidity is between 95 and 99 and the temp is in
the mid 70's.  Do we ride then?  Yes we have to because it don't get no
better.

I rode most of the last part of the ride with a rider from Utah - who
also happen to run a lot and was an MD.  He was expressing concern about
how the Western horses would fair in the humid conditions - again what
humid conditions. Of course he was correct that the conditions were
worse than what most western horses are used to.   He was correct many
western horses had metabolic trouble with the conditions.  I don't
remember one horse from the SE or NE having any problems with heat and
humidity.

The other interesting thing is we stayed out west, first in Torrey UT
and then in Gunninson CO for a total of about 10 weeks.  When we came
back it took both me and the horses about two months to get reacclimated
to the humidity.  We were miserable at first.

An Jerry one thing you forgot to point out.  Even a featherweight
carring 165 pounds the horse carrying the lightest heavyweight is
carrying 28% more weight.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt